Log me on automatically each visit    
Register
Register

Kitebuilder.com Forum Index » Kitebuilder 101

Rang Thang Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic :: View posts since last visit 
woodpekr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Rang Thang Reply with quote

The inspiration for this kite is Lee Sedgwick's Ring Thing which won "Most Innovative" at this year's AKA convention.

The Kite was made with a 1/2 section template out of scrap Ripstop sent to me as packing for a Kite Studio order (Thanks Steve).

The wand is 1/2" PVC 5 feet long. It's too heavy. After an hour of waving it around my forearm was fatigued. I also tended to choke up on it, so I'm going to try a 4 foot piece of Carbon tubing. I must have something in the kite closet that will work.

The control line is 12 feet long with a knot in the middle to keep it with the wand. There is 1 foot hanging out the end of the wand there for someting to grab to reel the kite in.

Layout is based on 3 x 48" (1/8") Carbon rod. Yields 144" circumference, which yields a diameter of 45.85" for the the frame. I arbitrarily decided on 45" for the diameter of the sail.

The template was made full size and then cut to 1/2, 1/4, 1/6, 1/12 sections.

Thanks to CJQ and RevFlyer for answering some questions I had when it came to putting this together.

This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons License.

Last edited by woodpekr on Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:06 am; edited 1 time in total
wdrwilson

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rich,

Looks very Cool!! Laughing ...

How is it birdled?

--Bill
CJQ
Grand Champion, Kitebuilder of the Year 2006
Grand Champion,  Kitebuilder of the Year 2006

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Rang thing Reply with quote

Hey Rich , very clever. I tried Lee's toy out at Seaside It's great fun to fly , say! Good use of stuffer material. It's a bummer for me as Steve never ships my orders I just pick them up , so I never get scraps. Maybe I should ask him for the stuffing he would have used for my order. (ya right). Ho-Ho .

CLIFF
woodpekr

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wdrwilson wrote:
How is it birdled? --Bill

Right now, it's not really bridled. It's set up to use with the wand. There is a single line attached top and bottom, through a tab and around the frame. It's as tight as I can get it without deforming the frame. There's a snap swivel at the end of the control line from the wand. So when flying it with the wand, the snap swivel will shuttle back and forth on the top to bottom line. The top to bottom line (someone give me a better name) is the brilliant part of Lee's design. It allows the kite to keep traveling a bit when you've let the contol line all the way out.

Hold the wand in one hand, do a frisbee toss of the kite, and by waving the wand and manipulating the length of the string through the wand you can fly circles overhead and "pin ball" the kite all over the place.

Lee also flies these kites as a quad line. That's the next step for me this coming weekend.

I'll put pigtails at 60, 120, 240, & 300 degrees on the circle and have at it.

knotronda
Kite Builder II
Kite Builder II

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking this would work well in Tyvek!! (A little spray paint. . .) Of course, in a no-sew version!

KR
woodpekr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

knotronda wrote:
I'm thinking this would work well in Tyvek!! (A little spray paint. . .) Of course, in a no-sew version!
KR

Lee Sedgwick mentioned that he has also done this kite in mylar.

woodpekr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: A few pics of the Ring Thing Reply with quote

Last edited by woodpekr on Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Russ Mozier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Yfo Reply with quote

Lee has named this kite the "Yfo". I first saw this kite in Wildwood last May. Lee was teaching my granddaughter Lacie to fly it. They were flying it as a quadline. Lee said it could also be flown as a dual line and a single line, he flew it as a single line in the indoor competition Memorial Day. Lacie asked Lee about getting one of the kites and Lee said for her to get me to build her one. He sent me a full size pattern for the skin and I finally got around to building it for her for Chriistmas, it's pink and black (her choice of colors). I still haven't figured out the bridle, Lee's description is "the bridle runs from the joining of two colors 90 degrees to the other side to the other two colors". I'm not sure if this is for 1, 2 or 4 line. I'll be taking the kite to Florida with me next week and I'll experiment with the bridle there, it's been too windy here to try it.
Russ Mozier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Lacie's kite Reply with quote

I forgot to put the photo of Lacie's kite in my last post so here it is

KiteSquid
Master Kite Builder
Master Kite Builder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High contrast!!!!! GREAT!!!!

It looks like the bear on the shelf want to go fly it!!!!!!
PPS The wind is like the air, only pushier.
PPPS All information provided is for hobby use. None may be used commercially.
PPPPS Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur. x11.5K
PPPPPS Please excuse my speling errorors.
wdrwilson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great Russ...

Sounds like that description is for the single line bridle but I am sure it will all come together when you get a chance to fly it..

--Bill
woodpekr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just come in from a two hour session with the Rang Thang (aka Ring Thing, Lee's UFO) . . . I live in NW Portland, corner of 17tn and Hoyt, (just a block from the Mission Theater, for those who know the area) which is down town. There's a 4 way stop and the powerlines are high enough when flying the kite on the wand they're not an issue.

We had kind of a party out there. Lot's of people asked about the kite and when they did I'd offer to let them try it. 6 or 8 folks gave it a go and we all had a great time and a lot of laughs. Lots of kite smiles.

We managed to beat that kite against the pavement quite a bit. I need to replace a couple of the tabs that attach the sail to the frame, but that's no big deal, the pavement is rough on kites . . .

Hmmm, what can I do to make this more of a street kite? Maybe a bit of leather or some other material that would help prevent some of the wear and tear on the tabs . . . any thoughts?

Last edited by woodpekr on Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
wdrwilson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would cable ties help at all? They are a harder plastic. You could get wide ones and put them over the existing tabs... not exactly sure how it would work but they can take a beating and it would keep the fabric tabs from touching the pavement. When they wear out you could just replace them.

--Bill
Doug LaRock
Master Kite Builder
Master Kite Builder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:41 am    Post subject: wear points Reply with quote

Rich , good to hear of the fun your having. I use some material called 18 oz. vinyl for wear points. It is a fabric reinforced vinyl the they use for truck tarps. I got mine a tent and awning supply. It works great , its light and abrasion resistant, and sews good. If you can't find any locally I would be glad to send you some.

Doug
EBGB
Master Kite Builder
Master Kite Builder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a job for Velcro.

But then, everything sounds like a job for Velcro to me.

Sew a patch of loop on the top and bottom of the sail, then wrap a piece of hook around the spar and stick it to the patches.

Velcro isn't all that durable, but it would certainly be easy to replace.

I think I'm going to build one of these shortly - in time for the Windless Kite Festival at Long Beach.

Question: I noticed that in one picture, the edges are straight, and in the other their scalloped. is there any difference in how they fly?
It seems like the scalloped edge would be more taught, and be less likely to deflect up or down - but is it worth the extra work?

Don Ostey
CJQ
Grand Champion, Kitebuilder of the Year 2006
Grand Champion,  Kitebuilder of the Year 2006

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Rang Tang Street Version. Reply with quote

Hi ,I understand how the hard the sidewalks can tear up the tabs of fabric. EBGB has an excllent idea of velcro. That would give you much better durability and quicker replacement ,Also better adjustibility. My suggestion would be to use the Industrial Strength Velcro. Much thicker than the clothing grade velcro. I get the ISV at Home Depot.

CLIFF
KiteSquid
Master Kite Builder
Master Kite Builder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevlar Stands up to a lot of abuse.
PPS The wind is like the air, only pushier.
PPPS All information provided is for hobby use. None may be used commercially.
PPPPS Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur. x11.5K
PPPPPS Please excuse my speling errorors.
Russ Mozier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Bridling Reply with quote

I'm still looking for some more suggestions on bridling this thing. I'll try to bridle it Christmas week in Florida. I really need help on the single line. I'm going to try the dual and quad just by attaching at points around the circumference and see how that works. I've been thinking about adding some cross lines too. If I get something to work I'll post it when I get home.
woodpekr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EBGB wrote:
Question: I noticed that in one picture, the edges are straight, and in the other their scalloped. is there any difference in how they fly?
It seems like the scalloped edge would be more taught, and be less likely to deflect up or down - but is it worth the extra work?

I made mine with straight edges thinking that I could always scallop them later. I really don't think it makes a difference in how it flies. I've observed that when the kite is flat and floating down that the straight edges deflect but they are all deflecting and that adds a little bit of "depth" to the flat kite.

woodpekr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Bridling Reply with quote

Russ Mozier wrote:
I'm still looking for some more suggestions on bridling this thing. I'll try to bridle it Christmas week in Florida. I really need help on the single line. I'm going to try the dual and quad just by attaching at points around the circumference and see how that works. I've been thinking about adding some cross lines too. If I get something to work I'll post it when I get home.

I put together an adjustable 3 point bridle last night and plan to fly Rang Thang this weekend as a regular single line kite. I'm going to attach the bridle to pigtails already in place for quad line flying. The top two points will go to the top quad line pigtails the bottom will go to the bottom of the "shuttle" line. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm also going to try some quad line fllying

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitebuilder.com Forum Index » Kitebuilder 101 All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

View posts since last visit

Jump to: