Register
Register

Kitebuilder.com Forum Index » Fabric

SEAL n GLIDE Test
View previous topic :: View next topic :: View posts since last visit 
Sodedako
Master Kite Builder
Master Kite Builder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: SEAL n GLIDE Test Reply with quote

SealnGlide is a new product Kitestudio offers. It is touted as "the ultimate performance finish to reduce the friction of sail surfaces. This unique system offers "nano" technology to create a slippery, water and dirt repellent surface glaze which also gives fungicidal and UV protection."

I have used this product on some patio flags that I have made, but have not been able to follow up on the performance of the product, as I have sold the flags. I have therefore applied the product to several swatches of different types of nylon and polyester (including red Ripstop nylon - gotta try the UV protection on red!) and have exposed the swatches to the elements. I have also hung out identical untreated swatches as a control group. This was done over the Memorial Day weekend, so results may be noticable in a few weeks. I will update this thread with any results as they come in.

stevef
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Sode, hows the test going?

Steve Ferrel
Measure once, buy twice!
www.kitebuilder.com - Go Build a Kite!
|
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Sodedako
Master Kite Builder
Master Kite Builder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was looking at the swatches on the 4th of July, which makes it about 5 1/2 weeks of continuous outdoor exposure.

There has not been much deterioration of any of the colors, as far as from one sample to another. It seems that the colors are pretty stable all around for both nylon and polyester. But I need to compare them both to some swatches that have not been outdoors.

As far as the coating is concerned, I cannot really tell the difference as to which have been treated and which have not. For this test, I only used kite fabrics. I should have used some of the flag nylon, too, but did not. I am beginning to think that the coating on the kite fabrics may have somewhat prevented the product from saturating through into the threads. But that's just a guess.

Iíll let them go for another month. Then I will compare them with the indoor samples to look at fading.
CJQ
Grand Champion, Kitebuilder of the Year 2006
Grand Champion,  Kitebuilder of the Year 2006

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sodedako,, can you tell us about the consumption. How much fluid did it take to cover ?? sq. feet. I know that will vary because of the fabric and how thick it's applied, but can you give us an idea.

CLIFF
Sodedako
Master Kite Builder
Master Kite Builder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mixed the two fluids according to the directions. Normal application is for a boat sail, so the directions are for a large area - perhaps 30 square yards, if I remember correctly. I had to do a little math to convert it to one square yard (I used a medicine dropper to get the 5 milliliters of the one fluid that was required). I could then convert using the 1 square yard conversion.

When applied, the liquid covered the calculated amount of fabric quite nicely with little waste. It seemed to saturate well and dried very quickly. I thought at the time of application that there was a new sheen to the material, but looking at the swatches, I am not so sure. I did coat one kite as a test. I'll have to pull it out again to re-evaluate how it looks compared to others.

Will you be coming to Camp Hill for the Keystone Retreat next month? I'll bring the swatches and you can judge for yourself.
Sodedako
Master Kite Builder
Master Kite Builder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's been four months. The fabric samples have been outside the entire time. My subjective assesment is that there is no difference in the samples. All colors and types of fabric seem to have faded equally. The wear appears to be the same as does the coating on each sample swatch. I really can't see any differences at all.

The hardest to rate is the black (RSN), which doesn't show much in the way of fading, but the orange (RSP) and red (RSN) have been hit hard by the sun, both treated and untreated. The yellow (RSN) and blue (RSP) fall in the middle.

The coating and general wear are good on all samples - both with and without the product.

My conclusion is that I see no effect from this product on any of the samples.
Mrhide

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so when are you starting the 303 testing !? Cool
stevef
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused hmmm..... well that wasnt exactly the result i was hoping for!

Steve Ferrel
Measure once, buy twice!
www.kitebuilder.com - Go Build a Kite!
|
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
CJQ
Grand Champion, Kitebuilder of the Year 2006
Grand Champion,  Kitebuilder of the Year 2006

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got some 303 left over from a coating job on my 12 point double star. If anyone wants a test I can cut some patches and mount them out doors.
I am pleased with the application on my D.S. I applied about 1 1/2 qts to 34 yds of RSN. (about 1/4 qts went waisted onn the ground and saturating my application rag. Do I like it ,,,,,Oh yes.

CLIFF
Sodedako
Master Kite Builder
Master Kite Builder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. I call 'em as I see 'em. Perhaps my methodology was poor and another test is called for.
KiteSquid
Master Kite Builder
Master Kite Builder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

color fading is one aspect, however how the fibers degrade is more important to me....
PPS The wind is like the air, only pushier.
PPPS All information provided is for hobby use. None may be used commercially.
PPPPS Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur. x11.5K
PPPPPS Please excuse my speling errorors.
Quad Nut

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sodedako wrote:
. . . .My conclusion is that I see no effect from this product on any of the samples.

stevef wrote:
Confused hmmm..... well that wasnt exactly the result i was hoping for!

I didn't wanna 'rain on the parade' back in June when this thread first started.
Most of the products that are sold to "enhance" / "protect" / "rejuvenate" sailcloth are pretty much benign. . . .
Some users think it works, some don't. The manufacturers make money either way.

From my experience with sailcloth:
ArmorAll works the "best" for added UV protection.
WD40 and 303 for protection against the corrosive effects of salt water.
Just so you know ahead of time, all 3 have an effect on the colors.

Cool
hardlock

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: 303 or SealnGlide for porous Ripstop Reply with quote

My interest is sealing porous discount Ripstop. Material looked good until I did the kiss test. I use it for RC planes so airproof is a must. Which would be best or other solution?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ken
http://www.acesim.com/rc
Pumpkin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: 303 or SealnGlide for porous <a href= Reply with quote

hardlock wrote:
My interest is sealing porous discount <a href="http://www.kitebuilder.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=24_108">Ripstop</a>. Material looked good until I did the kiss test. I use it for RC planes so airproof is a must. Which would be best or other solution?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ken
http://www.acesim.com/rc

Hate to say it Ken but IMO use the porous stuff for something where leakage doesn't matter and buy some good stuff to use (Stevef sells VG quality and if you need to be sure before buying I'm sure he'll check out a specidic colour if you phone him..... click on kite supplies tab at the top of page)

Otherwise, 303 is reported as reducing porousity so you may want to try or as you don't need the flex that kites need, you may be okay with a varnish, again, you'll need to try
mikenchico
Kite Builder II
Kite Builder II

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always "Dope" it like we did back in the day before the nice heat shrink films were available.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KiteSquid
Master Kite Builder
Master Kite Builder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For airplane use I would recommend icarex PC-31 Polyester fabric.

It is LIGHT, crisp, wind proof, but expensive.

I have sprayed LIGHT coats of clear spray paint on worn out fabric to make it less porous, and to lower the stretch. it is just a stop gap solution at best.
PPS The wind is like the air, only pushier.
PPPS All information provided is for hobby use. None may be used commercially.
PPPPS Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur. x11.5K
PPPPPS Please excuse my speling errorors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitebuilder.com Forum Index » Fabric All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

View posts since last visit

Jump to: