Register
Register

Kitebuilder.com Forum Index » Notions

Design_Master Paints & Kites Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic :: View posts since last visit 
KiteSquid
Master Kite Builder
Master Kite Builder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Design_Master Paints & Kites Reply with quote

I dont like the opacity of Design Master on kites, but I LOVE what Scott Hampton does with it. One of my isperations for wanting to dye my own fabrics.

Design Master has a LOT of Aceitone in it, so be carefull.
PPS The wind is like the air, only pushier.
PPPS All information provided is for hobby use. None may be used commercially.
PPPPS Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur. x11.5K
PPPPPS Please excuse my speling errorors.
knotronda
Kite Builder II
Kite Builder II

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Design Master works great on tyvek! I experimented with the paints by crumpling the precut pieces of a diamond arch. I sprayed the paint from the top to catch any surfaces that were projecting out. Then, I rotated the pieces 180 degrees around and sprayed with a contrasting color. When it was dry, I flattened the pieces by stacking them and placing a heavy box on top. They are absolutely flat but look 3-D. What a neat effect. The only drawback to using the Design Master is the smell. It does take a little while for it to go away.

Just thought I would throw my two cents worth in.

knot(ty)ronda
kiteguy
Kitebuilder of the Year 2005

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is pretty much what I did on this fighter kite, knot{ty}. After it was dry I ironed it flat.

The Design Master paint dries rather quickly. I paint outside where there is plenty of venilation. By the time I get back downstairs to my sewing room it is ready to put through the sewing machine.

I like the way that the Design Master paints let the light shine through, and it is very easy to mix colors.

Dave Ellis
Kites + Kids = Education

knotronda
Kite Builder II
Kite Builder II

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband just walked by as I was looking at your picture of the fighter and his comment was "It looks like a rock!"

I have also played around with folding the tyvek in patterns such as a collapsible fan. This was another great effect but was almost too structured.

I too like the way the light shines through the Design Master. Thanks for mentioning about painting outside. Just in case someone who is inexperienced in spraying paints happens by, I would want them to know about being safe in the application of any spray product. This also includes any spray adhesives. Be safe. Protect your brain. We loose enough brain cells through age that we don't have to help the process along.

Anyway, once again dinner is ready and I need to go. Talk to you soon.

knot(ty)ronda
kiteguy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "rock" was the effect that I was after. Sort of like a memorial stone in rememberance for the person in whose memory I had made the kite.

Pray

Dave Ellis
Kites + Kids = Education

knotronda
Kite Builder II
Kite Builder II

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let my husband know that you were trying to make it look like a rock. His latest comment about me being on line before dinner is that from now on I'm going to get a frozen dinner. That way I can heat it up when I get off the computer instead of having to reheat a perfectly good dinner that got cold. Boy, I had better behave myself. Otherwise, I'm going to have to start cooking my own dinner. (hahahaha)

Anyway, nice job on the memorial kite.

Time for dessert.

knot(ty)ronda

---

The time is now. Tomorrow could be too late. Fly a kite and celebrate!!!
Stan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten good effects by rubbing Tyvek with a sponge or paper towel lightly loaded with Acrylic paint. Wipe off excess with a damp rag. Looks like stone or marble up close, and can simulate an airbrushed fade from a distance.

Stan
knotronda
Kite Builder II
Kite Builder II

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Here is my list of what I used to paint/decorate a rokkaku I made as a gift for a friend. But, first, here is the story of how the kite came to be. The fish is an enlargement of a tatto she had just above her wrist. I tricked her into letting my husband take a digital shot of it and then had him print a pic for her. She had no idea I was doing a kite also.

I used glass stain paints, Marks-A-Lot permanent markers, artist's acrylic paints (thinned), laytex house paint, silver leaf, gold leaf, and whiteout. I missed competing with it at Long Beach, WA because I raced out of town and left it behind. But, I was able to fly it in a mass ascension and during some free time. Unfortunately, when I returned the kite to the owner, she left it in her office for a few days. One night the wall heater came on. (I think you know where I am going with this story. . . ) Anyway, the heater came on and melted a hole in the kite. This was not a total tragedy. The hole was about one inch outside of the fish and I will be able to cut the fish out and attach it to a new sail. Wow, what a bad thing to happen to a pretty fish but at least it was not a total loss.

Anyway, yes your comment about using thin layers of paint and utilizing the beauty of the random stranding of the tyvek is another way to appreciate how beautiful 'plastic' can be.

I will try to post a few pics in my photo gallery. I haven't done this before so hopefully I won't muck up the works. Wish me luck. I'm going to try right now.

knot(ty)ronda
CJQ
Grand Champion, Kitebuilder of the Year 2006
Grand Champion,  Kitebuilder of the Year 2006

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject: Design Master paints Reply with quote

ronda I painted an aisian deamon on white Ripstop using the DM paint . did not spray it however . I put A small amount in a little paper cup and applied the paint with artist brushes .different style brushes provide various effects. give it a try.
knotronda
Kite Builder II
Kite Builder II

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,

When my husband was building his second kite, he did a lot of investigating on what to use to paint his kite fabric before he sewed the pieces together. This was one idea he came across but didn't use. I just have not played with the idea yet but hope to soon. (Someday?!?!?!)

Got any pics of your results?

knot(ty)ronda
phighter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ...

i use markers to paint on my fighter kites. i usually paint on black orcon [dull side] ... the colors are called "edding 4000" series. i have just started doing tests on tyvek and it works well.

take a look at my painted fighters at :
http://www.gralphica.com/kites/pics/africa/

hope this helps ...

grns
r
Stan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the group Ralph! For those who don't know his work, Ralph makes some of the nicest fighters in the world, and is a fine artist as well.
Check out his website.

Stan
kiteguy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of these days I will have one of Ralph's fighters! I think it is on the donkey right now, trudging toward Kansas! Applause

Dave Ellis
Kites + Kids = Education

Progcraft
Kitebuilder of the Year 2004

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi phighter.
Just read your aritcle on kitelife. You definatly were lucky to get to do all that. Welcome to kitebuilder.

Cheers,
Progcraft.
- Delos B. McKown
spenuki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to remember about using DM type paints is to use them sparingly. If applied to thickly, it will start to peel and crack.

We've been using DM paints for years on our work, but use it more for adding dimension or for accent and contrasts between panels. What we do is try to "stiple" the paint instead of mist it. The larger drops tend to soak into the fabric better. We have misted the paint to make our own colors, but like I mentioned, it has to be used sparingly.

We met Scott Hampton when he was just starting and was already doing some great work. He liked the painting techinque we used and started doing some amazing stuff soon after. Don Mock and Carl Corwell had already tried a few projects with DM type paints, by then, but didn't get into using it too heavily in their work.

A couple from TX, the Dentons(?), first used DM paints and had a write up in Kitelines. We read that article and got hooked.

Some of our work......... http://w3.trib.com/%7Eray/kites/spencer.htm
wdrwilson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW nice work!!

Now that the weather is better I am going to try some kites with DM paint.

Can you explain a little bit more about your stiple technique? Do you first spray some paint into a jar and then use some other brush/tool to do the stiple?

--Bill
woodpekr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Those colors are just great! Inspiring work. Thanks for sharing.

This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons License.
spenuki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. It's good to know our old designs still can draw a few compliments. Laughing

Basically, we try to "sputter" the paint. It's hard and it's messy as you have to control how far down you push the valve. Pushing it down only a little will start the paint to sputtering instead of spraying. What we never got around to trying is modifying the valves themselves. Either notching them or drilling out larger holes. All you want is the paint to collect at the hole so the escaping air blows larger droplets. We know it can be done, we just never got around to doing it. Although, I do have a few valves I got off of discarded spray cans of web spray tack. Gonna see if these valves fit the DM cans. Wink

Stippling works great for making shading by adding a darker shade of the same color or with black. Also good for varying the intensity of the colors or a gradual blend of colors. Btw, DM has a few tints. Don't be afraid of using them to change light colors a bit. We managed to get a nice terra cotta by using somekind of orange and somekind of tint on yellow Ripstop. Shocked Laughing Sorry, the wife does most of this type of painting and I got around to asking her the specifics. But the color worked out really nice for some of our other Southwest designs depicting pottery graphics.

You can use a brush and bottle of paint for stippling, but we like the randomness of the spray can. Some large and some small and some really large. Wink
CJQ
Grand Champion, Kitebuilder of the Year 2006
Grand Champion,  Kitebuilder of the Year 2006

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: DM Spray Reply with quote

Just finished a one of a kind diamond kite with a Corp. logo. The company makes printing paper . They have a plant that operates on electricty generated with wind power.An individual in their marketing group thought it would be cool to put their logo on a kite. I made a stencle and cut the form out of white Insignia cloth. The logo had two colors ,light blue and light green. I used DM holiday green and larkspar blue. These colors matched their theme. I sprayed several coats on the cloth and the results were amazing. Looked smooth ,uniform color and soft and flexable. Couldnt tell the difference between the texture of a sprayed peice or an un- treated one. Aplique was not a desired method by the user. Thought this info would be of value to someone.

CLIFF
Progcraft

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spenuki wrote:

Some of our work......... http://w3.trib.com/%7Eray/kites/spencer.htm

Aloha back at ya Smile
Great kites. Wish I had a talent like that
Welcome to the forum. Nice to have you aboard Smile

Cheers,
P.
- Delos B. McKown
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitebuilder.com Forum Index » Notions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

View posts since last visit

Jump to: