Register
Register

Kitebuilder.com Forum Index » Non-Kite Design & Construction

TUTORIAL: Lets build a travel bag ! Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic :: View posts since last visit 
Grant L
Kite of the Year 2004
Kite of the Year 2004

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: TUTORIAL: Lets build a travel bag ! Reply with quote

This will be tutorial on how to make a nice travel bag for your kite or whatever you want to carry around. My original bag was built from a kit that I bought at MAKR a few years ago. Paul Fieber was teaching the class. Though I didn't take the class, I was lucky enough to buy an extra kit. Paul credits the plan to Aussie kitemaker Kevin Sanders, who thinks the plan originated with another kiter, who observed a women in Japan making pencil cases... Anyway, Paul said that it was fine with him for me to share the info here on the forum.

When I finally got around to building the kit, I was amazed at how fast and easy it was to build a really nice looking bag, ( of course the quality of Paul's kit and instructions helped.) The bag became my "Dive Trip," bag. Whatever I could fit into it, ( which is quite a lot amazingly,) I could take with me when my wife and I went on a dive trip. The bag easily fits into an overhead compartment on an airplane, ( even some of the smaller ones,) and I rarely get a second glance when I take it as carry-on luggage. I also use it to haul kites to festivals and have a smaller one that I use to haul my ground stakes around in.

The general technique can be used to quickly build a bag in whatever size fits your needs. This will be a general description of the basic techniques but you can change the dimensions and even the materials to fit your needs and what you have on hand.

You will need:
- Bag Material. My original was made of 430d Nylon pack cloth. (Steve has material HERE.)
- Zipper and one or two pulls. (Steve has those HERE ) For longer bags two pulls are nice so that you can open either way. I use one on smaller bags.
- Webbing for handles and shoulder strap. ( HERE )
- If you want a shoulder strap you will need two "D" or triangle rings, two snap clips and one slider, all the correct size for the Webbing you are using. I used 1" for everything on this bag.

The dimensions of the material will be
-Length = the length you want for the finished bag + the the depth you want the bag to be. I wanted a bag 48" long and about 4" deep. I added an inch for seams and made my piece 53" long
-Width. Make the piece 4 times the desired depth of the bag. Mine was going to be 4" deep so I cut the material 17" wide, ( again, adding 1" for seams.)
- The zipper length should be the same as the length of your material.

Step 1:

Separate the zipper and sew one half to each side of the material. Sew to the good, ( outer,) side of the material with the zipper teeth toward the center of the material. Sew as close to the teeth as possible. In my case, I sewed with the teeth to the left of my sewing machine foot and put my needle position to the left. If you want to have a shoulder strap, be sure to sew the D-ring tabs under the zipper when you attach the zipper. You sew the D-rings to opposite sides at opposite ends of the fabric, with the rings pointing toward the center. In the photo, you can see that I sewed one on the left side, 7" from the far end. The other is sewn 10 inches from the near end, on the right side. I used 3" of Webbing for each tab and again, these are sewn to the good, ( outer,) side of the material, between the zipper and the material.

Step 2:
Fold the edge of the material with the zipper under towards the bad,( inside,) along the previously sewn seam. Sew this flap down. In my case, I sewed with the zipper teeth to the right of my sewing machines foot and had the needle in the left position. (photo below is reversed.) Be sure to keep some side tension on the material so the the flap of material stays flat. You can back stitch over the shoulder strap tabs if you want.

Step 3:
Now the handle. If you look at the photo, the handle is actually two pieces. One for the upper loop/handle and one for the lower loop/handle. For my bag I used two pieces of Webbing, 25" long. The ends of the two handles meet on the long center line of the bag. They are also centered left to right with 5" between the edges of the Webbing. I folded about 1/2" of the end under when I attached them and stopped sewing about 2" from the zipper, ( half the finished width of the bag.)

Step 4:
Closing the ends. Bring the two zipper halves together so that the bag is inside out and put the slider(s) on with the pull tab on the inside, ( what will end up being the outside.) If you are using two sliders, make sure that the "Open" end of each is towards the middle of the zipper, not the ends. Press the bag flat so that the zipper is centered on the top. Stitch across each end of the bag being careful when sewing through the zipper. This is a temporary stitch so no need to back stitch. Measure the distance between the center of the zipper and the edge of the bag. Cut a square out of each corner with a side length that is 1/2 the zipper to edge distance. ( NOTE: When I measure in from the end of the bag, I started measuring from the SEAM, not the end of the bag. ) For my bag, the mid-zipper distance to the edge was 4 1/4". I cut out a square that was 2 1/8" in from the edge and 2 1/8" down from the end seam. Now go back and sew a permanent seam across the end on top of where you had already sewn a temporary seam, ( no photo.) Again, be careful sewing through the zipper. Do the other end.

Now turn the bag sideways and pull the corners apart. The edges of the squares you cut out become a straight line. Sew a straight seam along these straight lines, keeping the edges aligned. Turn the bag inside out and marvel at its beauty !

Step 5:
Shoulder Strap. I used about 58" of Webbing. On one end , pass Webbing through clip and sew down. On other end, pass Webbing through slider, through second clip. Weave through the underside middle bar of the slider and sew down.

I hope you all find this useful. I often get comments on my bag and I feel that is a really slick method. I can get all of the kites shown, (plus my Baden Powel,) in the bag easily and probably more if I wanted to try. If you notice, Paul had prettier Webbing in his kits Wink

Last edited by Grant L on Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
kaos

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top tutorial Grant!

I use this pattern extensively. It is so easily adapted for length, diameter, etc. A particularly nice feature is the fact that the bag opens up wide. This is because the zipper extends past the top edges and part way down each end.

Here is a bag I have used for the past 4 years traveling overseas many times. It is made from vinyl coated cordura and has proved to be very tough. I usually pack it with around 15 kilos (33 pounds) of kites, and it has never let me down

I use angled Webbing for load bearing the shoulder strap

The strap around the end is for baggage handlers, and for pulling the bag out of station wagons and vans easily

Always a good idea to add a tab inside for an extra address tag

And a velcro handle strap stops people ripping the main handle strap from the bag.

All this from a simple pencil case!!

Willunga, South Australia

Last edited by kaos on Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:10 am; edited 1 time in total
planish

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Grant: I have a request. Could you edit your post and put returns between the photos? Pray
I'm having to scroll left and tight to read every line.
Thanks.

(Although, oddly enough, the view in the "Topic Review" pane that is visible when I post a reply looks fine, and they wrap properly.)
ToDo list: Flower themed banner; small Rok; Houndstooth pattern applique for Ohashi variant; shadow bird applique; Marilyn Monroe portrait kite; Dave Wadeson's "Mouse"; Manga Multiconos line laundry; Supersled or Pilot lifter.
woodpekr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Grant! Nice Tutorial.

This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons License.
powder_pig
Master Kite Builder
Master Kite Builder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grant, nice tutorial, I also like the way you color code your kite bags. I have got to start doing that... Very Happy

Did you ever ask Steve about the banner?

It's sunny and windy in the summer and cold and snowy in the winter...this must be what heaven is like.
proteus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. Thanks for this, I've been meaning to make some bags. Very Happy
Grant L
Kite of the Year 2004
Kite of the Year 2004

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it meets your approval Kevin Dancing That is quite a nice travel bag you have. That is one of the reasons I wanted to post the technique here. It is so versatile.

planish wrote:
@Grant: I have a request. Could you edit your post and put returns between the photos? Pray
I'm having to scroll left and tight to read every line.
Thanks.

(Although, oddly enough, the view in the "Topic Review" pane that is visible when I post a reply looks fine, and they wrap properly.)

Done! Very Happy I was worried about the post being too long top to bottom.

powder_pig wrote:

Did you ever ask Steve about the banner?

Going to place an order soon and will make sure to ask about it, Thanks again Very Happy
shamrok

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Grant. Good tutorial.
Mrhide

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!
mototrev
Kitebuilder of the Year 2010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got some left over "japara" material from another project.. I'll now put to good use...An Aussie Stockman carry bag.

Thanks Grant.......and Kevin, somthing like this has been on my to do list for a while!

As my wife often says: "Trev- Go fly a kite!
DarrylW

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Grant and Kevin. That's a lot easier than how I was going to do it. I've got a bag I want to make for a series of banners I have, and this would be perfect.

Darryl
mototrev

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I've been wondering with all that Webbing.... if you use this to double as a sand anchor whilst traveling?
One less thing to make!....just a thought.

mototrev

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a leftover zip from a motorbike jacket repair I did a few months backand some velcro as the zip wasn't long enough I've made a variation of the "pencil case kite carry bag".
I felt a bit silly walking around the airport with a bit of "dunny" pipe last time I traveled, so I made the bag to fit the pipe 1.2 m by 170mm dia. (47" x 7")
I have no faith in aiport baggage handlers!

Kevin's extra straps to the end help share the load and the 4 point ring setup seems to make have better balance when carring over the shoulder.

Lots of exttra velcro to hold the handles and straps in place

A few press stud might be added along the velcro seam for some added security.

It got potential as a sand anchor....a bit long and skinny...but will do in a scrape.

Thanks Grant and Kevin Smile

powder_pig
Master Kite Builder
Master Kite Builder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice 1222 Trev, I wonder what the difference in the "E" type is. That's what I have. Very Happy

Your bag looks like the ski bag I carry my kites with.

It's sunny and windy in the summer and cold and snowy in the winter...this must be what heaven is like.
Dayton_David

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
Well, after following Grant's easy step by step instructions, here is my first kite bag, with an additional side pocket (I may add another pocket). It will get a good breaking-in when I take it on my flight to the Treasure Island, FL kite fest next weekend. This will be for my Rev kites, handles, lines.
the bag measures: 41" x 4" x 4", side pocket is about 16" x 4" x 2"
Cool
OldGoat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very "up town" lookin' bag you got there Dave. Smile
powder_pig
Master Kite Builder
Master Kite Builder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, an addition for your spars.

I use a ski bag to transport for my kites but I put all of the spars in a piece of 1" PVC pipe with end caps and cut to the length of the longest spar. It protects all of my spars from being broken in transit and it protects them from puncturing a sail in transit. It won't add any weight and it fits right in the bag.

Extra travel comfort. Very Happy

The bag looks great! Very Happy

Jeepster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a fly rod case from Bass Pro Shop for about $20. Stripped off the cover, cut down the center tube to just under max airlines length, resewed the cover and reassembled it. Now I have a fly rod case that is perfect for Rev rods and it can be carried on board in addition to a normal carry on bag. It'll also fit in your Rev bag, but I roll the Rev kites around a piece of foam and throw them in my checked suitcase.

That approach allows me to get a large amount of stuff on board without having an extra case ... yep, hate to pay for that extra bag. So far there has not been any hassle. We'll find out on this trip though if that continues ... the plane on one of the legs is rather small!

Cheers,
Tom
mototrev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few thoughts on the travel bag for OS trips.

Got caught in Europe by their domestic baggage regulations.
Strange you can take 30kg out of Oz then your limited to 20kg in Europe. and on some airlines only 1 piece of checked baggage.
mind you some of this depends on the type of ticket you travel on.

One piece of checked luggage Crying or Very sad 55 euro for an extra bag..... got stung twice Embarassed 110 euros ($146 AU) Twisted Evil even though the combined weight was 20kg or less

Even after reading D.G. travel notes.

So a rethink!

Two bags in one. One can be left at the accommodation....the other taken to the field....humm! that might work!

A bit of swapping around of gear from day pack will be required as some items won't make it past airport security...gotta love those pat downs at customs....not.

Took the old bag and modified it so ALL my gear can go in one piece of baggage (Kites 70%, Clothing 10% and Ground Tackle, flying line 20%
I think most of my cloths will go in cabin baggage...odd how many times you can wear the same shirt without washing it Wink ).

Ditched the 7" PVC tube as it adds too much weight 1 kg.....tightly packed kites have an inherent stiffness.
Opted for a 1" & 3" tube for some valuable items (spare spars and stuff).
Here's the bags now.

I'm looking into a day pack on wheels at the moment for cabin baggage.
I've seen some nice hard shell golf cases...but I'm not that rich.
Don't forget a small digital set of scales...I seemed to be constantly ditching odds and ends to stay under weight.

Computer bags don't seem to be taken into account as extra cabin bags.
And Yes! wear as many things as possible even if its 42 deg C in the UAE and you'd normally be wearing shots and T shirt

Two bags with straps and handles some of it doubles as ground tackle and is hidden when joined together.

The 2 bags zip together by super strong zips.

With a few extra compression straps.

Thanks again Grant for the Tute! I'll soon see if this works! Rolling Eyes

powder_pig
Master Kite Builder
Master Kite Builder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks great! I'm wondering if you are going to make two. You wouldn't want to take two back though?

Heck of an idea. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kitebuilder.com Forum Index » Non-Kite Design & Construction All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

View posts since last visit

Jump to: