Software for Kite Design:
- Poly With Poly, you can manipulate polyhedral solids on the computer in a variety of ways. Flattened versions (nets) of polyhedra may be printed and then cut out, folded, and taped, to produce three-dimensional models.
- Cascade Bridle Calculator: Here is an Excel spreadsheet where you can plug in the kites’ height and see the bridle lengths for cascades. Find it here: http://www.spencewikel.com/kites/JRapp%20Cascading%20Bridle%20Calculator.xls
- Nasa Parawing Calculators
- Kite Bag Calculator Have you wanted to make your own drawstring kite bag? This Program allows you to scale the bag from the size of a small cup, to a bag large enough to hold a 5 person tent. Full instructions on how to build the bag are included. (calculator at bottom of page)
- Kite Tube Calculator Have you ever wondered how best to make use of a width of material to cut into strips to make an inflatable tube tail? Just adjust the desired tube diameter and width of material and the program will show you how many strips you can cut and how much waste will be left over. You can also use it to determine how to cut strips to be utilized for any kite project. This program does not give any directions on how to make a tail.(calculator at bottom of page)
- Inkscape An Open Source vector graphics editor, with capabilities similar to Illustrator, Corel Draw?, or Xara X, using the W3C standard Scalable Vector Graphics.
- http://www.aviary.com/tools Online free vector graphics editor
- Here is a variety collected by TS:
- This link http://kiteguy.info/4.html will get you to a software program that steps you through the building process for several traditional kites. You need to scroll down toward the bottom of the New Information page to locate the software. The file is “zipped” so you will need to know how to “unzip” it.
- If you are interested in a sled kite, here is a PDF booklet with several varieties.
- My son wrote a cellular kite calculator for me. It allows me to play around with diameters, number of points, etc. It gives me the measurements of each segment in the kite, etc. However, it is up to me to provide the construction details. That is a very personal thing anyway. If you would like to explore the program, feel free to download it to see what you think.
- I have a couple of very useful programs listed on the New Information page on my website.
SOFTWARE: This is a link to some software that will let you make a PL Pilot kite at any size you wish. It is in a Microsoft Excel format. http://kiteguy.info/resources/Pilot.xls
This is a link to some software that allows you to scale a “beach ball” to any size you choose. It also calculates how much material you will need. It will also estimate how much wasted material is involved.
Find more information about this topic here: